Thursday, September 2, 2010

Miso Soup

I love Miso soup. There is something comforting about a steamy bowl of soup that soothes the soul. Tonight I was seeking that comfort after a rainy, gloomy day. Within about 15 minutes tops, I had a healthy dinner, a full stomach and a calm spirit. I just made a simple Miso soup; the type I get in restaurants with my sushi. Only there seems to be something so much better about homemade Miso Soup. Mix the miso paste directly in the bowl because if the water is too hot it will destroy the healthy goodness of the miso. The stock used for making Miso soup is called dashi. It is used extensively in Japanese cuisine and is a fish stock made from dried bonito fish and dried seaweed. I use the stock granules but if you can't find them you could make a broth with the kombu, which is seaweed and maybe add a dash of Thai fish sauce. Or if you are a vegetarian simply use the seaweed in a vegtable broth. This is a basic recipe- feel free to add other veggies and/or some soba noodles.

Miso Soup
Makes two servings.


3 1/2 cups water
1 tsp dashi stock granules (I bought mine at an Asian grocery store)
1 slice dried kombu about 5inches by 2 inches long, snipped into bite sized pieces
4 oz firm tofu cut into cubes
2 green onions chopped into thin slices
4 tsp miso paste (I used white miso)

Put the dashi granuels in a pot with the water and kumbo. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer.  Add tofu. Simmer about 10 minutes until kombu is soft. Add green onion and let simmer for about another 1-2 minutes.
Meanwhile, set out two soup bowls. In each bowl put 2 tsp of  miso paste. Add a little of water to the miso paste and mix until well blended. I use a wisk. Divide the soup between the two bowls. Mix each well to make sure the miso paste is well blended. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment