Friday, July 8, 2011

Sweet Potato Hummus

I had been hearing about Sweet potato hummus for a while now and decided to give it a try in my own kitchen. The following recipe is what I came up with and it's really good. Serve with tortilla chips, pita chips and/or veggies. I like it with carrot sticks. You can also use it as a spread on a sandwich. A good one to try would be lightly toasted bread (preferably pita bread) topped with sliced cucumber, sliced tomato, thinly sliced red onion and shredded romaine lettuce. Very yummy!

Chick Peas (about 1 1/3 cans) drained ( save liquid)
1 cooked sweet potato
ground coriander and cumin, about 1/4 tsp each
about 1/2 tsp Turkish Baharat (I make my own with spices that I already have.)
lime juice from 1/2 lime ( I didn't have any lemons but you could use one if you prefer)
tahini - about 1/4 cup +some of the oil
clove of garlic
olive oil, maybe a tbsp
sambal chili sauce, couple of tsp
salt and pepper to taste
(Sorry, I really never measure anything so I'm just eye balling the amounts.)

I blended everything together in a food processor, adding a little bit of the liquid from the canned chick peas. Blend a long time so that the hummus is really smooth. This will take several minutes; stop in between and scrap bowl down occasionally.
The warm spices in the baharat compliments the sweet potato. It's a new take on hummus. I really like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment